Why use geolocation?
OK, hands up if you've ever:
- Scrolled through so many country flags your thumb started to cramp
- Received online promotions that couldn't be less relevant to where you live
- Waited all evening for a (cold) pizza because your delivery address had a typo
Thanks, you can put your hand down now. For today's digital businesses, these examples are just the tip of the iceberg in a sea of missed opportunities. Every day, slow, inefficient, generic experiences are frustrating your users and costing you customers.
But that could all change from today. With real-time geolocation, you can start interacting with people in ways that are more relevant, more engaging, and more rewarding for everyone.
What is geolocation?
Geolocation is a technology that pinpoints the geographic location (longitude and latitude) of an Internet-connected device. On their own, these coordinates are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The magic really happens when this information translates into meaningful data – like a postal address.
Websites and apps enhanced with geolocation can interact differently (in real time) with people based on where they are in the world. This allows you to engage your audience in a pretty unique way.
For example, tapping the screen once to autofill the address of a user's current location saves them time and gives you an accurate postal address. Everyone's a winner.
Here are some of the things you could use it for.
Show people their nearest physical store (without entering a zip or postal code). Open the correct country website (without endless scrolling). Convert currency. Autofill addresses. Endless routes to smoother user experiences and speedier conversions.
Don't waste your money on the wrong people. Make your advertising more profitable by delivering relevant messages to specific audiences, like special promotions only available at a person's local store.
Control distribution of your digital content, making sure it's only accessed in the countries that it should be. Stick safely to copyright and licensing agreements and protect against online piracy.
Fraudsters are easy to find if you know where they are. Use real-time mobile location data to shine a light on questionable behavior patterns and to help verify identities in the fight against online fraud.
Directionless digital experiences that don't stand out from the crowd.
Rooted digital experiences that feel smooth, slick, safe, and special.
How does geolocation work?
Want to give your website real-time geolocation superpowers? It just takes a clever piece of API code. Here's how it works.
Your website or app gets the user's permission to access location data.
The API matches the device's longitude/latitude (via GPS) to a geolocation database.
There you are!
Your website receives the address information, generating or adapting content in real time.
Geolocation done right
With more than half the world's Internet traffic now coming from mobile devices, it's no surprise that digital businesses like yours are taking advantage of geolocation. If you're joining the party, you should bring a dance partner that can really show you off.
- Reliable accuracy. While IP address location has its place, we use GPS coordinates and databases for postal address accuracy you can count on.
- More options. Pick the geolocation services you want from trusted providers – one source, one API.
- Integrated microservices. Combine geolocation with device detection to adapt website content based on GPS availability.
- Automatic updates. We keep the database bang up to date, so you can enjoy all the benefits with none of the stress.
Get more with Pipeline API
We could just give you the world's best geolocation intelligence and leave it there. But it gets better.
- Multiple real-time data sources in one speedy request
- Supports most popular web frameworks and programming languages
- Seamless switching between cloud and on-premise services
- And much more